Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Week 7 Thing #16 and 17 Wikis


#16 Wikis
Wikis are an interesting tool. They allow for a group of people to edit and change and build up an information base, data base, or information about anything and everything. In a regional library where the staff are scattered, a Wiki could be useful in educational tips for staff, information sharing and so on. The video was very useful, simply showing what is possible from a small task to creating an encyclopaedia.
Can a Wiki be restricted to a group of people or are they always public and subject to random misinformation? I noticed on the ‘Library Success: A Best Practices wiki’, one has to provide an email address. This is their attempt to restrict vandalism problems.
#17
I added my blog to the PB wiki and added an entry in the Favourite Music section, which said: I love a diverse range of musics from Indian pop, Indian classical, Techno, Funk, Qawwalli, Arabic, Rai. At the present I can't get enough of the haunting voice of Abida Parveen, a Pakistani Qawwalli singer. She is fantastic. I heard Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan when he came to Adelaide for the WOMAD festival. A beautiful performance on dusk after a 43 degree day. Another favourite of mine is Moroccan composer/singer Abdelwahab Doukali.

I've added a picture of Abida Parveen.

No comments: